City , Wisconsin
City, located in the southeast corner of Pierce County, was
named by the Moser family who arrived here in 1856. This profusion
of wild plum trees and a small stream running through a peaceful
valley attracted a variety of settlers, including: American
Indians, English, French, Swedes, Swiss, Irish, Germans and
of what is now Pierce Country, leading from the mouth of the
Chippewa River north to the headwaters of Plum City, was once
the home of the Eastern Sioux Indians. It was a great trapping
and hunting ground and the French transported huge quantities
of furs through the Saint Croix waterways north to Lake Superior
and on to Montreal. Chippewa Indians also arrived here and
there were several Indian wars before 1686 among rival tribes
over the better hunting grounds west of the Chippewa River.
Part of present-day Plum City was settled during the French
occupation. This early settlement surrounded the natural spring
pond, which existed in a primitive state in the 17th Century.
That spring continues to flow to this day, creating a serene
attractions include a local apple orchard where visitors can
pick their own apples in the Fall, snowmobiling in the winter and hiking along those same trails in the spring. In summer, visitors
can relax in the park, picnic and enjoy some American Legion
baseball -- the local team is called the Plum City Blues and
has been riding at the top of the standings lately in the
Saint Croix Valley League.
Lake Park, just four miles north of Plum City, is 752 acres
of semi-wilderness area. It offers a 116-acre scenic lake
(electric trolling motors only are allowed on boats), 55 campsites
(with 32 electrical hook-ups), hiking and cross-country ski
trails, picnic area with shelters, playground equipment, a
beach with changing rooms and boat/canoe rentals. Nugget Lake
Park is open year round. For reservations or information,
Plum City itself is the nine-acre American Legion Park, bordered
on the west by the well-known trout stream, "Plum Creek."
Overnight camping, a large playground area and hiking trails
are available here as well.
[Printed with the
permission of the author Dorie Haugen.]